Rajasthan, the western state of India is a land of chivalrous people who have lived through the history of mighty royals called Rajputs. The state is sectioned by Aravali Range, the oldest mountain range in India, which has a dramatical effect on climatic conditions on both of its adjoining plain sides. The Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Bikaner, or the Thar Desert side is full of shifting sand dunes, a few oasis in the dessert, and a some thorny shrubs in the name of vegetation. Some people have been forced by the harsh climate to adopt a semi-nomadic lifestyle to keep their cattle well surviving. This lifestyle has become the major tourist attraction, giving an insight into this living past.
Riding on the camel’s hump, battling the sand waves, wondering the chasm of Aravali range, a bunch of earthen homes, contrast of women in colourful attire with the blank backdrop, eyes set to the horizon and the unique beauty on large expanse of blank earth is just a pinch of the experience you can expect. Among this dessert are a few splendid monuments, older than the history itself.
International airports and distance to Jaipur
- Jaipur International Airport (JAI): 13 Km
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi (DEL): 250 Km
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport Ahmedabad (AMD): 684 KM
Getting around in Rajasthan
Mehrangarh Fort, Amer Fort, Hawa Mahal, Jal Mahal, Dilwara Temples, Chand Baori, Jantar Mantar, Keoladeo National Park, City palace Udaipur, Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jaisalmer Fort, City Palace Jaipur, Kumbhalgarh, Abhaneri, Pushkar Lake, Jaigarh Fort, Birla Mandir, Tal Chappar Sanctuary, Junagarh Fort, Fateh Sagar Lake, Pushkar, Haldighati, Albert Hall Museum, Ranthambore National Park, Bundi, Bikaner, Chittorgarh and other places.
Most of the palaces are converted into luxury hotels. The major cities have budget hotels as well.
Food and Drink
Most cuisines are spicy. Rajasthan is a hub of food and some of the most delicious cuisines. It is best to try Thali at restaurant which may have Dal Bati Churma, Gatte ki Sabzi, Ker Sangli, Ghewar.
Healthy stay tips
Drink only boiled or packaged drinking water. See if the bottle is sealed and choose only from the trusted brands.
Things to Know
- Most known location/ Capital: Jaipur
- Languages: Hindi and English understood by almost everybody.
- Time Zone: GMT +5.5 (no difference in winter and summer clocks)
- Telephone code: +91
- Payment options: Most vendors accept cash in the Indian currency, that is, Indian National Rupee or commonly called Rupee. Online payments are also common in hotels and restaurants, make sure to ask for the same beforehand.