The Taj Mahal in Agra is the best contender among all the trips. It's a mark of mourning-love for Mughal queen Mumtaz Mahal by her beloved husband Shah Jahan, carefully carved on marble, built in 17th century. Set on the bank of River Yamuna, a tributary of the Ganges, Taj Mahal is just a single monument and a world heritage sight that is unbeatable by any other in the world. Agra is brimful of historical monuments such as Itimad-ud-Daulah, Akbar's mausoleum at Sikandra and the Agra Fort. Agra is an iconic picture of Mughal rule in India and its impressions are still intact. The destination is one pillar among the Golden Triangle Of India - Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.
International airports and distance to Agra
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi (DEL): 248 Km
Getting around in Agra
Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri, Akbar’s tomb in Sikandra, Agra Fort
Agra has some of the most luxurious hotels in India. Most of the luxury properties face the Taj Mahal, so you can enjoy the view of the most beautiful mausoleum from your own room.
Food and Drink
Petha from Agra is known around the world. Apart from this famous sweet dish, restaurants in Agra also serve great Mughal cuisines made from the recipes handed down generation by generation.
Healthy stay tips
Drink only boiled or packaged drinking water. See if the bottle is sealed and choose only from the trusted brands.
Things to Know
- Most known location Taj Gan
- Languages: Hindi and English understood by almost everybody.
- Time Zone: GMT +5.5 (no difference in winter and summer clocks)
- Telephone code: +91
- Payment options: Most vendors accept cash in the Indian currency, that is, Indian National Rupee or commonly called Rupee. Online payments are also common in hotels and restaurants, make sure to ask for the same beforehand.